TUTOR: Pravina Phillips
DATE: Sunday 2nd July 2023
LOCATION: from out of the blue studio galley, 18 Halse Place, Ōpūnake.
TIME: 9.30am – 2.30pm. Shared Lunch. Tea and Coffee supplied.
PRICE: $50 Maximum of 8 people.
Pravina Phillips recently exhibited at ‘from out of the blue studio gallery’ where she shared her altered books as part of the collection. More about Pravina can be found on her Artist page: https://fromoutofthebluestudiogallery.com/pravina-phillips/
Learn how to recycle a book and create a work of art, or a personalised book to hold memories, or where you can create and illustrate your own stories, or all of the above.
Using a variety of techniques, you will make textured backgrounds, pockets and windows and have the opportunity to explore the world of the altered book. There will be examples available for inspiration.
- Old book – not precious or valuable. The binding should be sewn (not glued as in the modern book) as some pages will be removed . Size of a novel. Pages do not have to be pristine. Spine of the book should be sturdy
- Ephemera – this could be old maps, travel brochures, memorabilia , postage stamps – items that you are happy to cut up.
- Old magazines which contain pictures that interest you and which could be used in your altered book as focal points
- Serviettes with scenes that interest you
- Modge podge (matt) or pva. Generous amounts are used for gluing pages so if you think you would like to continue this at home, a larger size bottle would be good.
- Acrylic paints (can be inexpensive) –think about what colours you might like to see in your book
- Watercolour paints (if you have any)
- White gesso (if you have this)
- Flat paintbrush – 25mm (1 inch) – this is for gluing down pages
- Flat paintbrush – smaller size for painting pages
- Plastic card for using as a tool to spread paint
- Metal ruler if you have one, otherwise any ruler
- Stencils, stamps, ink pads, washi tape, ribbon, wool, embroidery thread with appropriately sized needles – anything you might want to embellish with
- Bulldog clips (if you have any) for securing groups of pages if necessary
- Hairdryer for quick drying of pages
Please PM or txt Viv on 021 407 424 , email email@example.com. for any other details.
Fill out the form below to pre-register for the workshop.